Sunday, August 14, 2011

Stockpile

So, I have this thing about being prepared. I like it. For instance, I have everything for my husband's birthday, which is over a month away. I also have things for him for Christmas, which is over 4 months away. I have my mom's Christmas gifts, and her birthday gifts; her birthday is in January. When I see things for a really good price, I purchase them. Or, if something just yells out at me " so-&-so would just love this!" I can't really resist. So, maybe it's not really being prepared, maybe it's a bit obsessive, who can really be sure? Not me, for sure. So, this really kind of extends to all areas of my life. For instance, I love Sam's. I was there yesterday in fact. For those of you who might not be familiar with Sam's, it's a wholesale club, where you buy in bulk... So, I get about all my paper goods there. Really? I have 2 people in my household? Why do I really need 90 rolls of toilet paper? I don't want to be caught with my pants down, literally. Paper towels, deodorant, all these things I have way more of than I can legitimately use. I also have only 1 cat, but I generally by the biggest bag of cat food, like 20 pounds. It takes him forever to eat it, but I always know he has some, and I get it for a good price. When I was in high school, and shortly afterwards I worked at a department store. They frequently put stuff on clearance and I got really good prices. So, by the time I moved out & into my own apartment I had a fully stocked kitchen, restroom & plenty of things to decorate my apartment. I realize this is some sort of defect, maybe even a mental problem. I kind of think of my whole life in this way. Just because I don't have something right now (a house, an occasion for a gift, a nice car, etc) doesn't mean I might not have it in the future. I reserve my right to change my mind. I have no plans to own a luxury car, or have a dog, or do tons of other things right this instant, but one day in the future, I might change my mind. So, if I find a terribly cute dog collar or wonderful car washing kit at a super cheap price, I might be tempted to purchase it. I personally don't view this as a commitment to have a dog or lexus, but as a preparation for a possible future choice. Plus, if in the future, I never end up owning a nice car, maybe someone I know will own one & I'll need a gift to give them & I'll have a valid outlet to get rid of the key fob - car wash kit - window shade - whatever it was I bought on sale.
Does this make any sense?
My friend's mother in law keeps a closet full of things she got good deals on, for when it's someone's birthday or a wedding comes up, or they have something else they need a gift for. I think this is maybe sort of the same as what I do.
So, objective opinions - what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment